Why Is Your Refund Different Than You Expected
Errors or missing information
If your tax return had one or more errors, we may need to adjust your return leading to a different refund amount than you claimed on your return. We will send you a letter explaining the adjustments we made and how they affected your refund. If you have questions about the change, please call Customer Services.
Tax refund offsets – applying all or part of your refund toward eligible debts
- If you owe Virginia state taxes for any previous tax years, we will withhold all or part of your refund and apply it to your outstanding tax bills. We will send you a letter explaining the specific bills and how much of your refund was applied. If you have questions or think the refund was reduced in error, please contact us.
- If you owe money to Virginia local governments, courts, other state agencies, the IRS, or certain federal government agencies we will withhold all or part of your refund to help pay these debts. We will send you a letter with the name and contact information of the agency making the claim, and the amount of your refund applied to the debt. We do not have any information about these debts. If you think a claim was made in error or have any questions about the debt your refund was applied to, you’ll need call the agency that made the claim.
If you have a remaining refund balance after your debts are paid, we will send a check to the address on your most recent tax return. We cannot issue reduced refunds by direct deposit.
We Received Your Return And May Require Further Review This May Result In Your New York State Return Taking Longer To Process Than Your Federal Return No Further Information Is Available At This Time
Once we receive your return and begin to process it, our automated processing system scans it for any errors or signs of fraud. Depending on the result of that scan, we may need to manually review it. This status may update to processing again, or you may receive a request for additional information. Your return may remain in this stage for an extended period of time to allow us to review. Once your return goes back to the processing stage, we may select it for additional review before completing processing.
I Have Checked The Status Of My Return And I Was Told There Is No Record Of My Return Being Received What Should I Do
Due to the late approval of the state budget, which included multiple tax law changes, the Department has experienced delays processing returns. If you filed your return electronically and received an acknowledgment, your return has been received but may not have started processing. Follow the guidance below based on your filing method:
If its been more than six weeks since you received an acknowledgment email, please call 1-877-252-3052.
If its been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your original return, you can mail a duplicate return to NC Department of Revenue, P O Box 2628, Raleigh, NC 27602, Attn: Duplicate Returns. The word “Duplicate” should be written at the top of the return that you are mailing. The duplicate return must be an original printed form and not a photocopy and include another copy of all wages statements as provided with the original return.
Also Check: Do Retirees Need To File Taxes
Why Haven’t I Gotten My Refund Yet
There are numerous reasons why your tax return may not have been completely processed yet, resulting in a delayed refund. Here are the most common.
- Your return had errors or was incomplete
- You owe the IRS money
- Your bank account info was incorrect
- You filed a paper return
- You didn’t properly enter your stimulus payments
- The IRS suspects identity theft
- You filed an amended return
- Your return needs further review
In testimony to the House Ways and Means Committee, IRS Commissioner Charles P. Retting said that, in 2021, the agency received “far more than 10 million returns” in which taxpayers failed to properly reconcile their stimulus payments with their recovery rebate credit, which required a manual review and resolution.
If the delay is due to a necessary tax correction made to a recovery rebate credit, earned income tax or additional child tax credit claimed on your return, the IRS will send you an explanation. If there’s a problem that needs to be fixed, the IRS will first try to proceed without contacting you. However, if it needs any more information, it will write you a letter.
If you’ve requested a paper check for your tax refund, that’ll take longer, too — about six to eight weeks, according to the IRS.
Check Where’s My Refund
Whether you filed a paper or an e-filed return, if youre expecting a refund, the IRS offers the Wheres My Refund? site. Youll need your Social Security number, your filing status and the amount of the refund you are due to receive. If you filed a joint return, you can use either spouse’s Social Security number. The IRS advises you to wait three weeks before checking the status of mailed returns and 72 hours before following up on e-filed returns.
Read More:When Can You Get That Tax Refund?
Read Also: Montgomery County Texas Tax Office
How To Check Your Refund Status
Use the Where’s My Refund tool or the IRS2Go mobile app to check your refund online. This is the fastest and easiest way to track your refund. The systems are updated once every 24 hours.
You can to check on the status of your refund. However, IRS live phone assistance is extremely limited at this time. Wait times to speak with a representative can be long. But you can avoid the wait by using the automated phone system. Follow the message prompts when you call.
Refund Delays Due To Error
There was probably an error on your tax return if receiving your refund is taking longer than you think it should. that couldnt be easily cleared up. Even a small mistake can slow things down if the IRS must reach out to you for clarifying information. The IRS will never email you or phone you in this case. It will notify you and request the information by mail through the U.S. postal system.
Always double- and triple-check your tax return for mistakes if you prepare it yourself. Its especially important to make sure youve included your correct Social Security number. Make sure youve attached all necessary forms.
Make sure you check your direct deposit information and your math because many returns are delayed based on those two things. Even choosing the wrong standard deduction for your age and filing status could slow things down.
Read Also: Tax Short Term Capital Gains
Know Your Itr Status User Manual
The ITR Status service is available to the following registered users:
- All taxpayers for ITRs filed against their PAN
This service allows the above users to view the details of ITRs filed:
- View and download the ITR-V Acknowledgement, uploaded JSON , complete ITR form in PDF, and intimation order
- View the return pending for verification
2. Prerequisites for availing this service
- At least one ITR filed on the e-Filing portal with valid acknowledgement number
- Valid mobile number for OTP
- Registered user on the e-Filing portal with valid user ID and password
- At least one ITR filed on the e-Filing portal
3. Process/Step-by-Step Guide
Step 1: Go to the e-Filing portal homepage.
Step 2: Click Income Tax Return Status.
Step 3: On the Income Tax Return Status page, enter your acknowledgement number and a valid mobile number and click Continue.
Step 4: Enter the 6-digit OTP received on your mobile number entered in Step 3 and click Submit.
- OTP will be valid for 15 minutes only.
- You have 3 attempts to enter the correct OTP.
- The OTP expiry countdown timer on screen tells you when the OTP will expire.
- On clicking Resend OTP, a new OTP will be generated and sent.
On successful validation, you will be able to view the ITR status.
Step 1: Log in to the e-Filing portal using your valid user ID and password.
Step 2: Click e-File> Income Tax Returns> View Filed Returns.
What Can Slow Down Your Refund
- Your return was selected for additional review. As refund fraud resulting from identify theft has become more widespread, were taking extra steps to review all individual income tax returns we receive to be sure refunds go to the rightful owners. Additional safeguards can mean that it takes us longer to process your refund. However, our goal is to stop fraudulent refunds before theyre issued, not to slow down your refund. Learn more about our refund review process and what we’re doing to protect taxpayers.
- Missing information or documents. If we send you a letter requesting more information, please respond quickly so we can continue processing your return.
- Errors on your return. We found a math error in your return or have to make another adjustment. If the adjustment causes a different refund amount than you were expecting, we will send you a letter to explain the adjustment.
- Problems with direct deposit. If you requested direct deposit, but the account number was entered incorrectly, your bank won’t be able to process the deposit. When this happens, your bank notifies us, and we will manually re-issue your refund as a check. This process could take up to 2 weeks between the time we receive notification from the bank and when you receive the check.
Recommended Reading: How Much Is Tax At Walmart
How To Verify With The Irs That A Tax Return Was Received
Once youve put in the time and effort required to file your tax return, you want to make sure your work isnt lost in cyberspace or in the mail. If youre due a refund, you want your forms to arrive safely and be processed as quickly as possible. The Internal Revenue Service offers several ways for you to verify that your return has been received and that your IRS refund status is being processed.
How To Check The Status Of Your Income Tax Refund
Waiting for your tax refund from the Canada Revenue Agency can seem like an eternity. Instead of checking your mailbox daily, or looking at your bank account online every day, the CRA has other options you might want to consider. Before going through them, however, we must look at the NETFILE process to ensure you have successfully filed your tax return the first time around.
No filed return means no tax refund! You can usually expect your refund within two weeks after you successfully NETFILE, but may take longer if your return is selected for a review. For more information on your refund status, please see this CRA link: Tax Refunds: When to expect your refund.
Read Also: What Do You Need To Do Your Taxes
Find Out If Your Tax Return Was Submitted
You can file your tax return by mail, through an e-filing website or software, or by using the services of a tax preparer. Whether you owe taxes or youre expecting a refund, you can find out your tax returns status by:
Looking for emails or status updates from your e-filing website or software
If you file your taxes by mail, you can track your tax return and get a confirmation when the IRS has received it. To do so, use USPS Certified Mail or another mail service that has tracking or delivery confirmation services.
My Refund Check Is Now Six Months Old Will The Bank Still Cash The Check
A check from the NC Department of Revenue is valid up to six months after the date on the check. If a check date is older than six months, you should mail a letter along with the refund check to NC Department of Revenue, Attn: Customer Service, P O Box 1168, Raleigh, NC 27602-1168. Your check will be re-validated and re-mailed to you.
You May Like: How To File An Extension Taxes
What Do These Irs Tax Return Statuses Mean
Both IRS tools will show you one of three messages to explain your tax return status.
- Received: The IRS now has your tax return and is working to process it.
- Approved: The IRS has processed your return and confirmed the amount of your refund, if you’re owed one.
- Sent: Your refund is now on its way to your bank via direct deposit or as a paper check sent to your mailbox.
Will Calling The Irs Speed Up My Tax Refund
No, it wonât. IRS phone representatives can only research the status of your refund 21 days after you file electronically, or six weeks after you mail your paper return.
Donât bother calling the IRS for your refund status until then, even if the Whereâs My Refund? tool directs you to call the IRS.
If itâs been more than 21 days , call the toll-free IRS refund line at +1 829 1954.
You May Like: Morgan Stanley Tax Documents 2021
What If You Filed An Amended Return
You might have to amend your tax return if you overlooked a key income statement or forgot to claim a valuable deduction. Amending your return might be necessary to calculate the correct amount of taxes owed or the refund that’s due to you. You can still track the refund’s status through the IRS website if you file an amended return.
Just plug in your Social Security number, date of birth, and ZIP code. An amended return can take up to three weeks to show up in the IRS system after you send it. It can take another 16 weeks to process, so you might need to be patient as you wait for the arrival of your refund.
How Can I Check The Status Of My Refund
You can check the status of your refund online by using our Wheres My Refund? web service. In order to view status information, you will be prompted to enter the social security number listed on your tax return along with the exact amount of your refund shown on line 34 of Form D-400, Individual Income Tax Return.
You May Like: Are Municipal Bonds Tax Free
Tracking 2021 Irs Tax Refund
The IRS says that your best bet for gauging when youll receive your 2021 refund is to go straight to Wheres My Refund? You can also use IRS2Go to pay your tax bill.
Both apps only have information on refunds for original, current year filings. Usually, refunds are issued within 21 calendar days. But you may not access information on amended or past years filings.
The most common reason youre likely not getting a return received response is that youre checking too soon. The IRS says theyll acknowledge your e-filed return within 24 hours. However, many tax preparation websites say to give it 48 to 72 hours.
Also, the 2022 tax season officially started on . If you filed before that date, you wont receive an acknowledgment that your return has been received until or later.
How Long Does It Take To Receive An Amended Refund
You should receive your amended refund within six months from the date filed. If it has been more than five months since you filed your amended return, please call 1-877-252-3052 for assistance. Select the option for l Individual Income Tax then listen for the Refund option to speak with an agent. Please do not call 1-877-252-4052 as instructed in the main greeting. Interest will be paid on amended refunds at the applicable rate.
Recommended Reading: How To Report Tax Fraud To The Irs
The Irs2go Mobile App
You can access the Where’s My Refund tool from your laptop or desktop computer, or you can use the IRS2Go app if you prefer to use your mobile device. The app is available as a free download on iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon. You can use it to:
- Check your refund status
- Make a payment if you owe taxes
- Get free tax guidance
- Get security codes for certain online IRS services
The IRS issued more than 125 million refunds for the tax year 2020 by Dec. 11, 2020. The average refund was $2,549. Overall, more than 169 million individual tax returns were processed.
Filing A Paper Return
To file a paper return, you must choose Mail Paper Return in the Filing step in TaxAct. Follow ALL of the steps presented. During this process, you will be prompted to print a paper copy of your tax return. You will also be prompted to print the filing instructions .
To complete the paper filing process, print your return and follow the filing instructions to include any necessary attachments. Then mail your return to the address specified in the filing instructions.
You May Like: Penalty For Filing Taxes Late If I Owe Nothing
How To Check When You Will Receive Your Tax Return
IRS2Go is the official mobile app of the IRS, which you can use to check your refund status, make a payment, find free tax preparation assistance, sign up for helpful tax tips and more. The app is available in Spanish and English, and you can download it from Google Play, the Apple App Store or Amazon.
You can also use the “Where’s My Refund” tool on the IRS website. To check your refund status, you will need your social security number or ITIN, your filing status and the exact refund amount you are expecting.
The IRS updates the tool’s refund status on a daily basis, usually overnight, so check back in routinely for the most up-to-date information.
If it’s been more than 21 days since you e-filed your federal tax return, you should you call the agency directly.
If you haven’t filed your taxes for the 2021 tax year yet, consider going with a tax prep software that offers expert tax assistance. Speaking with a tax-prep expert may help ensure that your return is accurate, which can help facilitate a timely return.
Here are Select’s top picks for best tax filing software:
- Best overall tax software: TurboTax