How H& r Block Compares
Promotion: NerdWallet users get 25% off federal and state filing costs.
Promotion: NerdWallet users can save up to $15 on TurboTax.
What It Looks Like
H& R Blocks interface is visually simple, straightforward and easy to use, and it steps up to explain concepts as you go. Skipping around to specific spots can be a little tricky, but a banner across the top keeps track of where you are in the filing process.
Embedded “learn more” links provide more information without having to wander around, the help menu is visible from all pages, and you can click to access the chat support portal throughout.
A price preview button up top tells you which package youre buying, whether youve also selected add-ons, and how much your total software bill is so far.
Tips To Protect Your Identity And Celebrate Refund Season
– The holidays may be over, but refund season is just beginning, and there’s a lot to celebrate. This tax season, while consumers are eagerly awaiting their refund, tax preparation companies, tax officials and the IRS are working together to combat one of the fastest growing threats for tax season 2016 – tax identity fraud.
Based on IRS data, nearly 3 million people have been victims of tax identity theft since 2010. Every year, criminals use increasingly advanced tactics – particularly geared toward taxpayers filing online – to steal taxpayers’ personal information, file fraudulent tax returns in their names and steal their refunds. After fraud occurs, it can take months and multiple steps by the victim to access a stolen refund and regain an identity with the IRS.
Protect your identity – and your refund – with these five tax tips from H& R Block:
1. File early and be cautious. Filing your taxes early will allow you to claim your refund before a criminal can. Before you file, protect your personal information by installing a security software with anti-virus and firewall protections.
2. Keep your paper records safe. Shred records you are no longer using and keep your social security card and any sensitive documents under lock and key.
Don’t Miss: What Is Tax Filing Deadline
If You’re Getting A Tax Refund
No matter how you file, you can choose to receive your refund in several ways:
Direct deposit to a bank account.
Existing H& R Emerald Cardholders can load refunds onto their cards.
Loaded onto an Amazon gift card .
Spruce mobile banking.
Apply the refund to next years taxes.
Direct the IRS to buy U.S. Savings Bonds with your refund.
You have the option of paying for the software out of your refund, but theres a $39 charge to do so.
What You Get From H& r Block’s Free Version
Like the free tax software from most of its competitors, H& R Block Free lets you file Form 1040, take the earned income tax credit and reconcile your advanced child tax credit. It can handle unemployment income and help you to claim a missing stimulus payment.
H& R Blocks free version also lets you file schedules 1 and 3 of Form 1040, which is a big bonus because many taxpayers need to file those forms to report things such as deductible student loan interest, certain retirement contributions, alimony, the lifetime learning credit and the savers credit. You may need to upgrade if you don’t know how much to claim for those things and want the software to calculate it for you.
While H& R Block’s free version has expanded capabilities, if you plan to itemize deductions, were a landlord, freelanced, sold cryptocurrency, contributed to an HSA, ran a small business or had any other situations going on, youll probably need to upgrade to one of H& R Blocks paid packages.
Recommended Reading: Johnson County Property Tax Search
Get $25 Off Tax Preperation With A Pro
Whether you want to meet with a tax pro in-office, via drop off, or send your documents virtually, let the tax pros do the rest. H& R Block will always get your biggest possible refund, guaranteed. PLUS, as a credit union member first-time filers receive $25 off their expert tax prep, and returning customers get the Tax Identity Shield® add-on. Get your H& R Block coupon now and save!
H& R Block Offer: Void if sold, purchased, or transferred and where prohibited. No cash value. Valid at participating U.S. offices only. A new client is an individual who did not use H& R Block or Block Advisors office services to prepare their 2020 tax return. Discount valid only with or for preparation of an original 2021 personal income tax return. Tax Identity Shield terms, conditions, and limitations apply. Coupon must be presented prior to completion of initial tax interview. Discount may not be combined with any other offer or promotion. Expires October 15, 2022. OBTP#B13696 ©2021 HRB Tax Group, Inc
Similar Brands Like H& r Block To Shop At
- TurboTax creates software that makes it simple to file taxes correctly and earn the largest tax refund possible. TurboTax allows taxpayers to keep more of their hard-earned money by maximizing their refund. TurboTax is a software program that may be used to prepare federal and state tax returns.
- TaxAct has been providing solutions related to tax preparation for individuals, business owners, and tax professionals.
- InfotaxSquare.com an accounting firm that specializes in customized tax accounts and incorporating small businesses and limited liability companies. Incorporating a business is confusing and expensive but worth the effort in the long run. InfotaxSquare.com will take all the guesswork out of it at an affordable price so you can focus on growing your company.
You May Like: Roth Vs Pre Tax 401k
Is Your Identity Safe From Theft At H& r Block
Make your contribution now and help Gothamist thrive in 2022. Donate today
Gothamist is funded by sponsors and member donations
This is why you should NEVER file taxesand if you do, you’d better hope your accountant isn’t going to rip you off: At least twenty customers at an H& R Block in the Bronx were victims of identity theft, according to a class action lawsuit filed on behalf of the customers. Kevin Johns, a construction worker, has been filing his taxes though the Kingsbridge H& R Block location for at least 20 years, but this year he got a call from his tax preparer saying that his return was rejected because he had already filed. And City Room reports that whoever did it collected a sweet $8,499 refund!
The NYPD says customers of the branch were robbed by identity thieves who were most likely H& R Block employees who filed fraudulent returns using the customers’ previous years adjusted gross income as proof of identity. “Theres only place that could have come from,” Johns tells City Room: “H& R Block.” James Fishman, one of the lawyers filing the class-action suit, says, “Because this is a seasonal business, for the most part, these are temporary employees who do their thing and leave and are never heard from again. But we know that its continuing at this office. Someone at H& R Block who is friendly with our clients said the same thing has happened this year.”
H& r Block Unveils Tax Identity Shield To Help Protect Assist Consumers
KANSAS CITY, MO– – At a time when tax identity theft is on the rise, H& R Block , the world’s largest consumer tax services provider, joins with Equifax Inc. to offer its clients the industry’s first product specifically directed to helping protect against tax identity theft, the Tax Identity Shield. While there are other identity-monitoring services available, none is specifically directed to helping protect against the growing problem of tax identity theft. Yet, since 2010, approximately 3 million taxpayers have fallen victim to criminals using personal identity information to file a fraudulent tax return and steal refunds from the IRS. Tax Identity Shield will offer tools, resources and assistance designed to help reduce risk, promote awareness, and mitigate fallout, including assistance with restoration of the consumer’s tax identity.
“As a company we look at our clients’ lives through taxes and find ways we can help,” said Mark Ciaramitaro, vice president of innovation for H& R Block. “Tax identify theft is one of the top concerns this time of year. Through Tax Identity Shield, which is offered exclusively by H& R Block to consumers, we are able to address a serious and growing problem for our clients.”
“Tax Identity Shield is the first of its kind on the market. It is an innovative, affordable and effective solution to tax identity theft,” Ciaramitaro said.
Don’t Miss: Texas Franchise Tax Instructions 2021
H& r Block Money Saving Hints And Tips
Here are some great tips & tricks for extra savings at H& R Block:
- Always check visit USA TODAY Coupons for the latest money-saving Promo Codes and deals at H& R Block before you finish your purchase.
- Join the H& R Block newsletter to get the best offers, money-saving promotions and exclusive deals sent straight to your inbox.
- Be sure to check out the sale offers and Promo section on the H& R Block website for the latest promotions and discount offers.
- Follow H& R Block on social media to stay updated with their new arrivals and offers.